Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart Interview: Night Raiders | Screen Rant

Night Raiders is part sci-fi thriller and part historical fiction, but the film is more than a sum of its parts and defies any genre definition. Already garnered plenty of critical acclaim since its premiere at TIFF, the story is set in a not-so-distant dystopian future where families are forcibly separated by the government in the wake of a North American civil war that unfortunately reflects the reality many Indigenous communities face today.

The film follows loving mother Niska, (Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers, Blood Quantum), whose close relationship with her daughter Waseese (newcomer Brooklyn Letexier-Hart, who recently appeared in CBC's Burden of Truth) is forcibly severed. When the government whisks Waseese away to one of their special "academies" for training, Niska must join forces with a team of vigilantes called the Night Raiders to fight for her family and for freedom.

Related: Why Blood Quantum Is The Best Horror Movie Of The 21st Century

Letexier-Hart spoke to Screen Rant about taking on such a complicated story for her first big film role, the mentorship she received from her costar and from director Danis Goulet, and what kind of role she hopes to play next.

How did you first hear about Night Raiders, and what was your reaction to the story?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: When I first got called in to do an audition, it was for Victoria. And I was told I did good, but I wasn't mean enough.

Danis asked me if I could audition for Waseese, and I was so excited. I was like, "Oh my God! This is a big opportunity." I practiced and went to the audition, and I felt like Danis and I really connected. A little bit later, I got the call back and was just over the moon. I was so excited.

Speaking of Danis, what was your experience of working with her as a director? How did she guide you through the process and what did you learn from her onset?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: Danis was like a mentor to me, really. I really respected how she thought it was very important to make sure our set had a good environment and felt safe, and she always made sure we were all okay. If it was a hard scene, we would smudge, and she'd talk it through.

Working with her was honestly a whole learning experience. I'm so happy I got to be part of that.

How would you describe your character, Waseese, at the start of the film? How has life in 2043 affected her outlook?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: Obviously, life was very different for Waseese because she was having to hide all her life. She was always creeping around and being very careful, but Waseese is a very open-minded, creative soul. I think he's very connected with nature and stuff like that. She's a little bit of a weirdo, but I loved that about her.

I also love the relationship between Niska and Waseese, which is obviously at the heart of the story. Can you talk about building that dynamic with Elle-Máijá?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: A week before filming, Elle-Máijá and I spent a lot of time together bonding and getting to know each other, just to really make sure the connection between the two characters was there. We felt that was very important, so we would do acting exercises and would hang out a lot. I really think it helped the relationship for the two characters.

Did you learn anything new about Indigenous history or performance in general, either through research or in conversations with Danis or Elle-Máijá?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: It was very new to me because, at the time, I was a very new actor. Both Elle-Máijá and Danis became these mentors to me, and I felt such a deep connection with the two of them.

We always made sure to keep ourselves very put together and made sure it was a very good environment for the whole cast and crew.

Obviously, this is a heavy experience for you to go through as a young actor. But how do you feel it's prepared you for future roles?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: Doing this project, I felt, really helped me learn how to take on such hard and heavy material.

But everything was very well thought out, and we were always told to take a few minutes if we needed to just talk or take a deep breath to keep ourselves together. Danis was very understanding about all of that.

Waseese is taken by the government early in the story. What were those scenes like to film, being in a new environment and out of your element?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: The funny thing is, I really connect with my character. My mom told me I'm kinda like Waseese, with my head in the cloud.

But it was pretty heavy to have to film in the Academy. It took a lot of strength and courage to do those scenes, because there was such a heavy presence in that location. But I, I think it really opened me up to, you know, doing other roles.

Did you have to do any physical preparation, like training for scenes in the Academy?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: Of course, we had to do the gun training to learn how to arm and disarm. I had a lot of physical training, especially for the action scenes.

But I really liked being there a week before filming. It really helped me build a relationship with everyone around me, instead of just walking in the day of filming and not really knowing anyone. It really helped me to get introduced to everyone and build a relationship with them, especially for the graphic and physical material.

I felt like I understood so much about this version of 2043 without there being that much exposition. How much did you discuss backstory with Danis, especially about what has led Waseese here?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: Yes, actually. I remember me, Elle-Máijá and Danis sitting down - we basically went through the whole storyline of Waseese's and Nisca his life, and what it was like for them. And it really helped me understand the characters as a whole and helped build the relationship that they have on screen.

In terms of filming on location, did it also inspire you to get more invested in the character?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: We tried to make things as real and authentic as possible, because having that environment around you really does help you understand your own character and what they're going through.

Most of those shots were outside in the cold, and it's real. We kind of just went through all the weather as it happened - if it started snowing or started raining, we went with it, because that's realistic.

As previously mentioned, the relationship between Waseese and Niska is the most crucial part of the story. But you get to experience other interactions throughout the film. Was there anyone else that it was very memorable to film with?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: I would say Birva [Pandya], who played Victoria? Our characters didn't really like each other much, but it was nice to have someone my age to film with. Even if it was just for a short duration, it was nice to be around other girls my age while filming because most of the other people were adults.

There have been so many glowing responses to the film. How have you felt about the feedback that you've been getting?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: So far, all of the feedback has been so positive. And it made me so happy to know that my work and Elle-Máijá's work and Danis's work - the whole cast and crew's work - was appreciated. Everything has been positive, and I'm so grateful for that.

Do you have anything that you're currently working on, or any other genres that you hope to take on?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: I am working on something right now, which I'm very excited for everyone to see.

I've always wanted to go more into thrillers and horror films, because I just loved those as a kid. I always thought they were so cool, before I even wanted to be an actor. I always saw those movies and was like, "Wow, I wonder how they did those?" I'm just hoping to get the opportunity to do some horror thriller stuff.

Are there any other stories you feel are similar to Night Raiders, or that you would recommend to people if they liked this film?

Brooklyn Letexier-Hart: I can't say much, but what I'm working on is a little bit the same. You'll find out in the future.

More: 10 Best Sci-Fi Films, According To Ranker

Night Raiders is currently in select theaters and available to watch On Demand.



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/32b5C4m

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement