Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Meng'er Zhang Interview: Shang-Chi Home Release | Screen Rant

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is now available on all digital platforms as well as 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD. The Marvel film, starring  Simu Liu, introduced the hero to the MCU and sends him on a journey of self-discovery which find him questioning his past. This includes his relationship with his father Wenwu (Tony Leung), mother Ying Li (Fala Chen), and sister Xialing (Meng'er Zhang).

Related: Xialing’s Post-Credits Turn Was Foreshadowed Earlier In Shang-Chi

Ahead of Shang-Chi's home release, Screen Rant sat down with Meng'er Zhang to talk about the reaction to the movie, her hopes for the character, and that post-credit scene.

Screen Rant: Now that the movie has come out, and people have seen it, how do you feel?

Meng'er Zhang: It has been great because I really enjoy reading all the feedback and comments and everything. I read that a lot of fans are asking for a Disney+ show for Xialing. I like that idea, and I want that too. I think Xialing is really a complex character. She's really interesting, and she has so many layers. She has so much more for us to explore and to discover.

Like, in the end credits scene, we can see her sitting on the throne with Razor Fist and Jon Jon standing by her side, and it says, "The Ten Rings will return." It's such a strong hint to something really big, I guess. 

I can't speak for Marvel, but to me, I just feel like it's gonna be cool. What kind of a Ten Rings organization [will it be] without the actual ten rings? Because Shang-Chi has the ten rings. I think between Xialing and Shang-Chi, Xialing is the one more like their father, who likes the taste of power. So, I guess that makes sense. 

I love it that you are such a fan of it. You get to be in a Marvel movie, but it's also that extra layer of being in a post-credits scene and setting up the future. When you were filming that scene, did you know it was going to be the post-credits scene? What did you know going into that?

Meng'er Zhang: No, I had no idea. I was just like, "Wow." It's a cool shot, because it pulls out, and you got to see everything. But when we shot that I had no idea that Xialing even changed the look of her father's compound. I mean, that is really cool.

You watch the movie for the first time and see "Ten Rings will return," and you're like, "Okay!"

Meng'er Zhang: Actually, funny enough, I actually missed the "Ten Rings will return." I missed that, because I was just like, "Oh my God, it's just like [looks around in awe]."

And then all of our friends were talking about, "The Ten Rings will return, and there's a sign of it," and I said, "What sign? I missed that. How can I miss that? No, I'm gonna watch that again." 

What would you like to see next for her?

Meng'er Zhang: Have you seen the [deleted] scenes of the movie? It's in the Blu-ay, and in the Blu-ray, we have the gag reel and all those cut scenes. One of the cut scenes is Shang-Chi apologizing to Xialing for abandoning her when she needed him the most. Has she forgiven him for real? Because you do see them fight side-by-side in the final battle, but now she's the new leader of the organization. So, the story between the siblings should continue.

Also, like I said, she's more like their power-hungry father. And I think she might want the ranks, so maybe they will fight against each other again. 

I just ask all those questions to myself every day: how did she train herself in her father's compound? And how did she build the fight club in Macau? All by herself. I mean, that's really interesting to me. So, I also want to know.

So much has happened since Shang-Chi came out. There's been a lot of new Marvel characters announced and a lot of new projects announced. Have you given any thought to, out of all of these newcomers, who you would like to work with or see Xialing fight alongside or fight against?

Meng'er Zhang: I really like Yelena [Florence Pugh]. I think they can make a good team. I'm a fan of hers.

You both have a pose.

Meng'er Zhang: [laughs] Yes, we're posers.

The rope dagger is such a fun weapon.

Meng'er Zhang: Actually, it's called a rope dart.

And you know what I saw a lot of? Halloween just passed, and I saw a lot of parents dress their kids [as] Shang-Chi and Xialing. They are so cute, and they're so creative. And they even made their rope darts. I want one for myself.

I think that's one of the coolest things, you play this character, and then you go to a Comic Con the next year or Halloween and you see everyone dressed as her. That has to mean so much.

Meng'er Zhang: It's really cool to see that. And, like I said, they are really creative. The whole family dressed up like Wenwu and Li and Shang-Chi, Xialing, and Katy. It's just so cool to see. I think people really love this film.

It's so good. It really is.

Meng'er Zhang: It's a film that everyone can relate to. Everyone can see themselves a little bit, here and there, in the film. And we also have great drama, we have great comedy, and we have breathtaking action sequences. The action is so good in this film, I even married one of the action designers myself. [laughs]

From working? You met on the film? 

Meng'er Zhang: Yeah, this movie really changed my life. My husband, Yung [Lee], is one of the action designers on this project. We met on this film, and we fell in love. We didn't plan anything for our marriage; we didn't have a wedding or whatever. But the production threw a really big reception for us to celebrate. And the next day, Simu took us to Disneyland to surprise us. And then the next day, Awkwafina threw a really big karaoke party for us, and everyone sang at the top of their lungs. And it's just so cool. 

You know who has the best voice? 

Florian Munteanu? No, I have no idea.

Meng'er Zhang: Florian! [laughs] No, [Benedict] Wong. Wong has the best voice. Yeah, he's so good.

Next: Shang-Chi's Credits Scene Supports The Best Captain Marvel Endgame Theory

Shang-Chi is now available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD and is also available to stream on Disney+.



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/31nOPL8

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement