Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Julian Elijah Martinez, Marcus Callender, & Uyoata Udi Interview: Wu-Tang An American Saga S2

Viewers will finally get to witness the birth of one of hip-hop's most iconic groups in Wu-Tang: An American Saga season 2, premiering on Hulu on September 8 after a wait of nearly two years. The dramatization of the Wu-Tang Clan's trials and tribulations began as something of a prequel, detailing the life and times of Bobby Diggs (Ashton Sanders) before he became RZA in the first season.

As the show returns, fans will get to meet the remaining members of the Wu-Tang Clan who were not previously introduced, including Inspectah Deck (Uyoata Udi, Watchmen). They also get to spend more time with the muscle behind the music who did their part to help the clan behind the scenes, namely older brother Mitchell "Divine" Diggs (Julian Elijah Martinez) and producer Oliver "Power" Grant (Marcus Callender, Power).

Related:10 Questions We Have After Wu-Tang An American Saga Season 1

Callender, Martinez, and Udi spoke to Screen Rant about how they approached the musical supergroup from the outside in for the new season.

Screen Rant: Uyoata, you're getting to really step into the role of Inspectah Deck for the first time. Can you talk about what that experience has been like for you?

Uyoata Udi: Stepping into this role has been an honor. And I think the most exciting thing is to be actualized in the moments that are so true to this person that has walked the face of this earth before and then to find what matches the essence of this character. I think that's excited me throughout the entire show and motivated me to continue to go deeper.

Julian, as the elder brother, Divine is in a bit of a difficult position. How does he view his own role in the family?

Julian Elijah Martinez: Yeah, I think Divine in season 1 is the breadwinner; he's the patriarch and the male figure. Which is interesting too, because he's so young, so it's kind of a Herculean task that he takes upon himself.

In season 2, he shifts a little bit. Suddenly we're seeing Divine become the first mate, become the supporter, become the champion. He's the gladiator stepping in and fighting for the king. That's a very interesting place to be, and I think what I love about the season is that me and Bobby's conflict isn't about our roles in the situation - I think the easy thing to do is to make that story.

Instead, we have other conflicts, but Divine immediately steps into his role without hesitation. I think seeing two Black men do that, and seeing two Black men work as collaborators, is a very empowering story to tell.

Marcus, Power is another behind-the-scenes player in life. What is it like to bring him to the forefront?

Macus Callender: Oh, I'm excited. I'm excited for people to learn the role that Power play plays in Wu-Tang because there's a reason why RZA asked him to join. He don't rap, he don't make beats - he don't do none of that. But there's a reason why RZA felt like he was an important piece to have as a part of Wu. And y'all gonna find out in season 2.

Speaking of RZA, what is it like to have him actually there, overseeing this story that's coming from him?

Macus Callender: For me, every time he's on set, all I think is, "Yo, how do you feel right now watching your story take place?" That's pretty cool.

Uyoata, have you spoken with him and gotten feedback?

Uyoata Udi: Yeah, we've spoken. The first meeting I had with him was him telling me, "I didn't choose you for the role. I picked you in my mind, but [it was] Inspectah Deck. I gave that respect to him, and he personally chose you." And I was like, "Whoa." I think it was a surreal moment and, once again, an honor.

But being on set and seeing RZA around, it's a twofold thing that happens. Because you're seeing him in his element and in his moment of success, thriving and continuing. But you're also watching and reading stories and refreshing yourself about his past, and the struggles that he's had. It's actually motivating, in an interesting way.

Julian, you spoke about Divine becoming more proactive and more of a partner. What is it like for you to find that inspiration outside of the script? Do you listen to the music, or is it more about talking it out?

Julian Elijah Martinez: Yeah, I have a YouTube playlist of all of Divine's interviews. He's only given a handful of them, but I have this YouTube playlist - and basically what I do is stick it in my left ear and listen to it for hours and hours and hours. For the entire time that we start filming - so maybe about a month before we start filming, and then the entire filming. For about seven months, that's all I'm listening to, Divine's voice in my ear.

Wow, you did your research.

Julian Elijah Martinez: I tried to. I was a horrible student in high school, so I think I'm making up for it as a 30-year-old.

 Next: Johnell Young & T.J. Atoms Interview: Wu-Tang An American Saga

Wu-Tang: An American Saga season 2 premieres September 8 on Hulu.



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/3yZHIDw

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement